Monday, June 28, 2010

Laundry in the tub

Why is it, when you are tired and ready for bed, that the strange things happen without warning? It was after 11:00 PM on Saturday night and I started to put my favorite khaki capris in the laundry. Guess who had two giant stains on the back of the capris? Me! I had been watering my flowers earlier that evening and the dirty hose brushed up against my capris. Great big black stains embedded themselves in the clothing. So...I threw them in the wash, hoping to get the stains out before they set in.

Halfway through the cycle, I started smelling burning rubber and the machine sounded funny. I opened the lid to see very wet and soapy clothes just sitting in the machine. The motor had stopped working and the rubber belts were starting to burn. Now what? I left the laundry, woke Michael and told him about it and went to bed...grrr...

Yesterday, I took all of the wet, soapy laundry and put the clothes in our bathtub for a manual rinsing. I can really appreciate the modern conveniences after I spent a lot of time rinsing and wringing each piece of clothing.

When Michael got a chance to look at the machine a few hours later, he took the machine apart, played with it for a few minutes and made it work again. This was way after I had dried the clothes three times, because I had not wrung them out enough!

Michael had it fixed and I was back in laundry mode!

I am so glad that it was not jeans that I would have had to rinse and wring!

We are so spoiled in the USA! If our washing machine breaks, we can go to the laundrymat or buy a new machine and have it delivered the next day! So spoiled!

No comments: