Thursday, November 3, 2011

Poor Little Girl


I was enjoying lunch today, when POW!!!, a female goldfinch crashed into our window.
She hit so hard that I was sure she had died.
I grabbed gloves in case she was alive and went out to check on her.
She was very sad looking.
She looked like she had broken her neck and I saw damage on one foot.
I accessed the situation, and chose to do the "when the bird hits the window" routine.
I lined one of our small coolers with several paper towels, picked her up and put her in.
We usually use a shoe box, but the cooler was closer at the time.
I kept the lid open just enough for her to get air, but closed enough to keep her warm.
I brought her into the office and waited.
After about an hour, she was still shivering, so we covered her with a bubble wrap blanket.
Bubble wrap is very warm when you are a very little bird who needs to be warm.
I went to Fed Ex and when I came home, Michael said she had made a remarkable recovery.
She was ready to fly!
We took her outside, opened the cooler lid very gently and she was gone in a flash!
First she flew to one tree, then to another, then we lost sight of her.
Michael could not believe that this very sad bird could make such a quick recovery
and fly as if she had not injured herself at all!
I hope I can see her at the feeder, so I can see how she is doing.
Today, God's eye was on the Goldfinch, and I know He's watching me.

No comments: