Thursday, August 20, 2009

support your local farm markets

After a great day at the Farm Markets, Michael and I had a wonderful dinner. Everything but the ham was purchased at the Farm Market. We had a great salad with five kinds of fresh lettuce, cucumber, carrots, broccoli and the first tomato from our very own tomato plant that Michael purchased at the market in the spring. I could not resist a fresh loaf of bread bought at the market to complement the dinner. We also have fresh corn on the cob and yellow beans in the fridge for tomorrow's dinner. Michael came home with fresh blueberries to make crunch and I have a bag of apples for him to make apple crisp! Yum!

It is so much fun to come home with so much fresh, picked that morning produce. Besides tasting incredible (the fresh cucumber reminded me of my childhood - my father grew so many cucumbers in his garden), we were able to add to our local economy. When it is all added up, the Farm Markets bring in needed income for the local farmers and vendors. What a way to kick start the economy, right at home.

If you have a Farm Market in your area, I urge you to visit. Once you go, you will get hooked. Fresh, local is the best!

See you at the markets tomorrow and Saturday!

No comments: