Monday, October 12, 2009

I Met Mr. Rooster

Finally! I was splitting wood yesterday and I heard Mr. Teenage rooster crow. Off we went to the neighbors house to find Mr. Rooster. We found him and his four rooster buddies and their chicken girlfriends. We got a lesson in chickens and roosters. They are fascinating!

Mr. Rooster and his buddies and girlfriends are bantams. The girls are multi-colored and gorgeous and the boys have beautiful feathered feet. They are fully grown now, but are half the size of a "regular" chicken and rooster. The girls lay eggs that are half the size, too.

When I started hearing them crow in the morning, they were still very young. I was right when I called him Mr. Teenage rooster. They are now about seven months old. They still have not completed their cock a doodle doo, but they are getting there. The "cock a doodle" is there, but the "doo" ending still needs some work.

I am so excited that I can now put an adorable face to the hysterical sound at 5:00 AM. Our neighbors feed them at 5:00, so the roosters have learned to sing for their breakfast, even if it is pitch dark out!

Now I know the rest of the story!

No comments: