Monday, November 2, 2009

What I learned from wood

Yesterday, as I was splitting wood, I studied the structure of the different types of wood. Their structure reminds me of my life.

White oak is very heavy and difficult to split. It seems to hold on to every shred of wood and does not give a clean split. The pieces hold on tight to each other until I force them apart.

Red oak is also very heavy, but easy to split. The pieces separate well, but will burn very hot, even when they are smaller.

Maple is so much lighter than the oaks. It also splits with a clean edge. What I notice most about the maple is the core. The lifeblood of the wood is in the core. It is tight and solid. When I try to split near the core, the core stays intact and the split occurs around the softer edges of the wood outside of the core. Like the oaks, the maple burns very hot.

Walnut is so heavy, with such fine grain. It is so strong. It splits clean like the maple.

Pine is the lightest and easiest to split. It also burns very quickly. I burn pine when I need warmth in a short time.

I like the core of the maple. It reminds me of my core. I want to have a strong inner being (core). When something or someone tries to separate me, my core remains intact and the softer outer edges give. I like to know that my core is strong. I thank God for giving me a core that will stand up to life's pressures.

I like the shreds of the white oak. They remind me of the next layer of my being. They protect the core and the softer edges around the core. They hold me together.

I like the strength of the walnut. Fine grain is packed with power. I would like my muscles to be like the walnut.

I like the smell of the pine and the fast burn of the pine. It is my adrenaline rush when I need it.

Splitting wood is good for me, both inside and out!

No comments: